Crack, Rock, Stone, Whites
What is it?
Crack is the freebase (purified) form of cocaine. It is prepared so that it can be smoked and comes in the form of a white rock. The name ‘crack’ is derived from the noise that the substance makes when it is smoked.
Crack can also be prepared for injection.
Crack costs approximately £10 per rock.
- Effects last for approximately 5 minutes and crack reaches the brain more quickly than cocaine giving a more intense ‘hit’.
Short term effects can include:
- Loss of appetite
- Increased heart rate, blood pressure, body temperature
- Contracted blood vessels
- Increased rate of breathing
- Dilated pupils
- Disturbed sleep patterns
- Bizarre, erratic, sometimes violent behaviour
- Hallucinations, hyperexcitability, irritability
- Tactile hallucination
- Intense euphoria
- Anxiety and paranoia
- Panic and psychosis
- Convulsions, seizures and sudden death from high doses
Long term effects and risks can include:
- Permanent damage to blood vessels
- Liver, kidney and lung damage
- Respiratory problems
- Infectious diseases and abscesses if injected
- Malnutrition, weight loss
- Auditory and tactile hallucinations
- Disorientation, apathy, confused exhaustion
- Irritability and mood disturbances
- Increased frequency of risky behaviour
- Delirium or psychosis
- Severe depression
- Tolerance and addiction